Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Book Review: Investment Titans

Jonathan Burton's Investment Titans does a really great job covering some of the smartest minds in the investment community. Each chapter in the book is dedicated to a well known investor and articulates that investor's particular niche. While I have taken an extensive portfolio management course at my university, the book still managed to share many unique strategies that I had never heard of!

Overview: I almost guarantee that everyone will learn something new after reading this book. I found myself skimming over the first two chapters because I already new about the Capital Asset Pricing model and using the Long and Hold investment strategy, but I was really interested in Jeremy Siegel's argument about Equity Premium. Readers will also get a heavy dose of index fund praise and asset allocation. In short, the book covers everything an intermediate investor should know when investing.

Personal Takeaways: I thought I would simply share some passages to cover my takeaways
  • "Bonds and cash simple don't retain their purchasing power once inflation takes its toll."
  • "... asking whether you should keep a stock... is whether you'd be willing to buy it."
  • "Behaviorists combine psychology and finance - contending that preconceptions and cognitive errors lead investors to misinterpret events and to overlook opportunities."
  • "Value stocks around earnings announcements outperform growth stocks... by four percent."
  • "The better an investment has treated you, the more you should think about distancing yourself. The stock doesn't know you own it. It owes you nothing."
Recommendation:
I recommend investors of all skills levels at least flip through the chapters and find something new. Investment Titans has certainly given me a few tag lines to keep in mind when evaluating an investment and I am confident that the insights have contributed to my overall investor education.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may commense earning with a money that usually goes
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'll be glad to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]